Reading and Listening in 2011
This is what I read and heard over the past year. I beat my goal of one book per month. Maybe I should try for 24+ in 2012.
It was a very sci-fi year. Pullman’s Dark Materials books were my favourites, although I’d say this was a 4 star year on average.
- Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain
- Quicksilver - Neal Stephenson
- The Captain and the Enemy - Graham Greene
- The Caves of Steel - Isaac Asimov
- The Dogs of Riga - Henning Mankell
- His Dark Materials - Phillip Pullman:
- The Golden Compass
- The Subtle Knife
- The Amber Spyglass
- Childhood’s End - Arthur C. Clark
- After the Party - Lisa Jewell
- Calculating God - Robert Sawyer
- Foucault’s Pendulum - Umberto Eco
- Rendezvous with Rama - Arthur C. Clark
In the non-fiction world, I seem to be on a bit of a “Ruby with Olsen” kick.
- Eloquent Ruby - Russ Olsen
- Design Patterns in Ruby - Russ Olsen
This was the year I discovered audio lectures. Most of these were heard while running in Assiniboine park.
- Brains, Consciousness, and Thinking Machines
- No Excuses: Existentialism and the Meaning of Life
- Art of Teaching: Best Practices from a Master Educator
- Science Fiction - The Literature of Technological Imagination (Out of Print)
- Art of Public Speaking: Lessons from the Greatest Speeches in History
- Argumentation: The Study of Effective Reasoning