“I believe that for people who love music, the desire to share it is innate and crucial for music itself. When we find a song we love, we beckon our friends over to the turntable, we loan them the CD, we turn up the car stereo, we put it on a mixtape. We do this because music makes us feel and we want someone else to feel it, too.”
Music Is Math — The hi-def version is recommended.
This video was generated by mathematically analyzing the music using the processing language.
Exit the Loop, but When?
There is a problem-solving strategy in computer science called recursion. It amounts to programming sets of instructions that are defined in terms of themselves (self-referential, meta).
Douglas Hofstadter’s academic pursuits centre on the connection between recursion and consciousness. Hofstadter maintains that our brains are recursive in nature, our consciousness born amongst the strange loops of our thoughts about thinking.
A recursive definition of recursion: “If you already know what recursion is, just remember the answer. Otherwise, find someone who is standing closer to Douglas Hofstadter than you are; then ask him or her what recursion is.”
Linguist Noam Chomsky has theorized that there is no limit to the expressive nature of English (and other similarly structured languages) due to the recursive device of embedding sentences in sentences.
This is the man all tattered and torn,
That kissed the maiden all forlorn,
That milked the cow with the crumpled horn,
That tossed the dog,
That worried the cat,
That killed the rat,
That ate the malt
That lay in the house that Jack built.
This post was inspired by a blog on beauty in computer science. My favourite recursively defined fractal is the Sierpiński triangle. I enjoy writing recursive algorithms.
Previously on Stung Eye: Recursion through definition.
Who Owns Ideas - Bill C61
The copyright amendment bill (C-61) tabled a few months ago “died on the table” when the 39th Canadian Parliament was dissolved prematurely for the upcoming election. Sadly, I’m sure it will be back in one form or another (especially if the Conservatives win a majority).
In the mean while, I’d encourage you to listen to the CBC Ideas episode entitled Who Owns Ideas. [podcast here]
Two New Wally Glutton Mixes
- You’re My Ghost - Indie-tude from 2007-2008ish
- Triangle Waves - Bass-Heavy Mini-Mix (with a dash of dirty)
You’re My Ghost
- Speck Mountain - Girl Out West
- Seachange - Glitterball
- Rilo Kiley - Asshole
- White Hinterland - Dreaming of the Plum Trees
- The Ginger Envelope - Drift
- Peter and the Wolf - Better Days
- Silje Nes - Dizzy Street
- Grey Reverend - The First Place
- Yelle - Tristess / Joie
- Constantines and Feist - Islands in the Stream
- John P. Strohm - Where is my Mind
- Birds Fled From Me - The Resisted
- Marco Polo - Nostalgia feat. Masta Ace
- The Black Ghosts - Tears from a Gun
- She & Him - Black Hole
- Cut Copy - Feel the Love
- New Pornographers - Myriad Harbour
- Reverie Sound Revue - Passes & Passports
- Kate Nash - Fluorescent Adolescent
- Atmosphere - Shoulda Know
- Judi Chicago - Chick Feel A
- Midfield General - Disco Sirens (MR GASPAR Remix)
- LCD Soundsystem - Get Innocuous (Soulwax Mix)
- Sebastine Tellier - Divine (Danger Mix)
- Mylo - Sweet Child of Mine
I’m not a pirate, I just grog a lot.