August 11th is the Winnipeg stop of Richard Pietro’s Open Government Tour. Richard is driving his motorcycle across the country promoting democratic engagement by way of technology, transparency and accountability. I’m the Winnipeg “city champion” for the tour and am organizing the event with the help of my fellow Open Democracy Manitoba members.
The intent of his tour is to “introduce Open-Source, Open-Data and Open-Government to Canadians, hopefully acting as a spark that will help push the movements over the tipping point and change the perspective that this kind of stuff isn’t only relegated to the uber-civically engaged, politico, or super-techie.” [source]
Join us on August 11 at the Millennium Library as engaged citizens. Together we’ll explore the benefits a culture of openness can bring to government.
Register to attend!
Confirmed local guests include:
- Representative from Winnipeg’s new Open Data Portal.
- Mary Agnes Welch of the Winnipeg Free Press.
- Colin Craig of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.
- Charles Thirst of the International Institute for Sustainable Development.
- Dennis Lewycky of the Social Planning Council of Winnipeg.
More details about the planning of the Winnipeg Open Government Tour event.